14 March 2008

57. Female Barack Supporter And Part-Time Editor

I was in a televised debate with Hillary. She looked at me and said firmly, I think we both know, Kate, that you are one of those women who stays at home and doesn't really do anything with her life.

For some reason, it seemed vitally important that I agree with her. Yes, that's true, I said, and we continued talking about the issues. But all through the rest of the debate I kept mentally berating myself. Why did I feel such a compulsion to agree with her statement? Yes, I'm at home with my kids, but I've never considered that doing nothing. I kept looking for an opening in which I could retract my words. Even after I woke up, for a couple of seconds I was thinking about how I could inform her campaign of my true position.

No comments: