29 March 2008

98. Young Woman Undecided Between Hillary And Barack

We are lined up with our luggage along the side of a building in Eastern Europe, waiting to be deported. It is a very nightmarish scene, like from Schindler's List. Everything is in black and white. Then Hillary comes by to examine us for deporting. She is in colour.

When she appears before me, she says, very friendly and motherly, What are you doing here? I didn't mean you! Come help me catalog my roses.

She pulls me away, putting a large, Ingrid Bergman-esque sunhat on me. We walk together through a rather pitiful rose garden and I write down, in a reporter's notebook, everything she says about the roses. I feel guilty, like I am obeying her for my own safety while other people are being deported and killed.

No comments: